You’re engaged in a lively debate and someone makes a point, and you can’t find the words to counter.
You’re in a situation that’s begging for a witty remark and your mind goes blank.
Terrible, isn’t it?
Fear not, faithful citizen. I have a perfect cure for your tongue-tied problems. And what better cure than turning to Lord of the Rings?
That’s right. Here are twenty Lord of the Rings quotes suitable for that moment when you desperately need something to say, whether clever, profound, or straightforward.
1. “It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.” – Frodo
2. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf
3. “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.” – Arwen
4. “May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!” – Gandalf
5. “Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon your faces!” – Elrond
6. “Not the beard!” – Gimli
7. “You offer it to me freely? I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.” – Galadriel
8. “No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.” – Gandalf
9. “Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me.” – Éowyn
10. “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo
11. “You will soon be well, if I do not talk you to death.” – Gandalf
12. “Short cuts make long delays.” – Pippin
13. “I am nearly twenty-nine, so I pass you there; though I am but four feet, and not likely to grow any more, save sideways.” – Merry
14. “Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.” – Gandalf
15. “You have shown your usual cunning in getting up just in time for a meal.” – Pippin
16. “Faithful heart may have froward tongue.” – Théoden
17. “It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain.” – Isildur
18. “I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox.” – Gimli
19. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.” – Sam
20. “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.” – Gandalf
I like to imagine using #7 when someone offers me the sports car of my dreams, or maybe #17 if I have to buy the sports car. And I’ve been guilty of #11 on several occasions.
What about you? Can you think of any situations where you could use one of these quotes? What is your favorite Lord of the Rings quotes? I would love to hear your thoughts.