My unicorn secretary (no judging) has informed that this week is book week. Hurrah for stories and characters and other worlds and ink on page and that delightful smell of a newly minted tale only a book lover appreciates.
Actually, I discovered this fact on Facebook, and since we all known Facebook is as reliable as a hobbit and wise as a wizard, who is little old me to question?
To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to talk about favorite quotes from fantasy and sci-fi books.
12 Memorable Quotes from Sci-fi and Fantasy Books
1. “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
Gandalf’s the man (Maiar?). That one gets me every time.
2. He saw it in her eyes. The anguish, the frustration. The terrible nothing that clawed inside and sought to smother her. She knew. It was there, inside. She had been broken. Then she smiled. Oh, storms. She smiled anyway. It was the single most beautiful thing he’d seen in his entire life.
From The Way of Kings, this quote has stood out to me ever since I read it.
3. Oohh, look, nifty quote graphic. 😉
4. There was once a time when only God knew the day you’d die.
Gripping. Intriguing. Mysterious. What a way to start a book (which happens to be the fantabulous A Time to Die by the equally fantabulous Nadine Brandes).
5. They looked so dangerous, like alligators. Really fast alligators wearing black. Ninja alligators. I decided not to use that one on Megan.
Gotta love the humor. When it comes to absurd yet hilarious metaphors, David from The Reckoners series is top of the class.
6. Hey, how about that? Another cool graphic.
7. If I have to share a room with the devil, at least it’s in first class.
The snark, the annoyance, the unbounded, dry humor exploding out of that comment. Parvin, in this case from A Time to Rise, has it all.
8. Hmm, another one. They just keep coming…
9. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”
*sage nod* As a writer, I heartily approve this message from Dumbledore.
10. “The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.”
Oh-my-word-this. How can somebody (in this case Wit, that incorrigible mystery from The Way of Kings) offer such a superb summary? It’s like a slice of pumpkin pie smothered in whipped cream and presented in a silver platter.
11. You know the drill by now.
12. “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.”
“So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.”
A memorable exchange, one that so perfectly sums up BASICALLY EVERYTHING EVER that it almost hurts it’s so brilliant.
What are some of your favorite sci-fi and fantasy quotes? I’d love to hear your thoughts here or on social media.