The presidential election approaches swifter than a Nazgul. And like a Nazgul, it has brought much dread to citizens far and wide.
Warning: this is a political post. Further reading may cause extreme bouts of depression, anger, and/or cynicism.
Then again, it’s definitely not what you think.
Today, we’re taking a brief break from the Pop Culture Q&A series to focus on a vital topic.
Speculative Fiction Election 2016
As November looms, politics is on the mind of almost everyone. Opinions abound. Stories surface about this candidate and that candidate.
Time to insert some fictional sanity to this mess that puts even your most cluttered room to shame—and that’s saying something. You may have seen memes or jokes scampering around the internet, proclaiming such things as…
These humorous jabs at the entire election process this year bring out an interesting point. What if we could vote for fictional characters?
If you follow the SpecFaith site where I’m a weekly contributor, this may sound familiar. Too familiar. As in, “Wait, didn’t this vote-for-characters thing just happen?”
Will I have to sue myself to plagiarizing myself? Is that even a thing? Either way, fear not. This is a different take on the same concept. A much broader approach.
This time, instead of me bringing forth worthy candidates, that job is up to you. What characters from fiction do you love? Who do you think would make the best president? The decisions in such pressing matters rest upon your shoulders.
This is a fun opportunity to get in election season mode and vote for spec-fic characters along the way.
Ever wanted Gandalf to be in the White House? Have you pictured Hermione Granger taking the oath of office? Then this election is for you.
- Starting today, voting opens and will run for two weeks (Oct. 20 – Nov. 3).
- Voting will take place in the *poll below*.
- You may vote for ONE CHARACTER ONLY.
- At the end of the two weeks, whichever character has garnered the most votes will be declared the winner.
- Spread the news on social media to fellow spec-fic readers and writers. Get people out to vote. 😉
- If you’re a blogger or know blogging friends who may want to get involved, that’s great. Write up a blog post about why people should vote for a certain character. If you do, please send them here in order to actually vote. 🙂
- Even if you’re not a blogger, feel free to write a brief “political” post on Facebook explaining why people should vote for your favorite character (with a link back to this post).
- I’ll post updates on social media.
Have any questions? Did I miss anything? Let me know on social media, via email, or here in the comments.